Q1: Must every instrument be accompanied by a memorial for registration?
A: Yes. All instruments submitted for registration must be accompanied by a memorial. Memorials must be in the form specified by the Land Registrar and in compliance with the provisions of the Land Registration Ordinance and Regulations. Please refer to Land Registry Circular Memorandum No. 2/04 for the prescribed format.
Q2: If an instrument affects a number of properties located in different districts, is it acceptable to include all properties in one memorial?
Q3: What is the solicitors code on the memorial?
A: The solicitors code is a unique reference number that the Land Registry allocates to each solicitors firm, on application. It is used to simplify data input in the computer system and to ensure return of deeds to the correct lodging party.
Q4: Upon receiving the application, how long will your office take to create a new solicitors code?
A: It takes about three working days. If a solicitors firm without a code needs to submit instruments for registration, the instruments can be submitted together with a written application for a solicitors code to the Land Registry.
Q5: Is it necessary to inform the Land Registry of any changes of name, address, telephone no. or fax no. of a solicitors' firm?
A: An application for a new solicitors code should be submitted in case of a change of name. The Land Registry should also be informed of any change in address, telephone no. or fax no. for updating records.
Q6: How do I fill in the Chinese address?
- It is required to provide the Chinese address of the property in the memorial if known.
- The land register and the bilingual Rate Demand issued by the Rating and Valuation Department are regarded as an authoritative reference of the Chinese address of a property.
- The lodging party may make reference to the "Guidelines on Chinese property addresses to be specified in Memorials after IRIS rollout" and Land Registry Circular Memorandum No. 6/07 [Paragraph 2(b)] on the Land Registry website.
Q7: How do I describe pre-IRIS memorials?
A: The following descriptions of pre-IRIS memorials are all acceptable for registration:
- registered in the Land Registry by Memorial No. TW123456
- registered in the then Tsuen Wan New Territories Land Registry by Memorial No. TW123456
- registered in the then Tsuen Wan New Territories Land Registry by Memorial No. 123456