In 1841 a Land Officer was appointed to administer lands, collect the revenue derivable from them, and oversee public works. The officer, who was very frequently changed during the first year or two, actively participated in developing the city. A. T. Gordon (Land Officer, 1843 - 1846) was assigned to prepare a town plan of Victoria. The plan envisaged church, post office, government offices, law courts and Government House all on the area known as Government Hill. The Land Office was on, and above, the site of St. John's Cathedral. His successor Charles St. G. Cleverly was the architect of the Government House and responsible for supervising the completion of St. John's Cathedral in 1849.